St Marks Church
Built in 1880 and consecrated in 1890.
Rev. H Sadler was the first Vicar. The Church is a Historical Monument, now privately owned and recently lovingly renovated. It contains the largest stained glass window in the Anglican Diocese of the Highveld.
The Court House
Built in 1897. This is made of sandstone and is known to be the only building built in the ZAR without a cornerstone. At that time Commandant General Piet Joubert was the Member of Parliament for the Wakkerstroom constituency and Paul Kruger the President of the ZAR. Because they could not agree on who should lay the cornerstone, construction carried on without one.
The Court House is the third of Wakkerstrooms Historical Monuments.
The Old Bridge
The Paul Kruger Bridge on the Wakkerstroom River. This bridge was built in 1893 after President Paul Kruger was (on purpose, so the story goes) stuck in the drift. The first Zionists in SA were baptised here. The bridge is a Historical Monument.
Map @ Info centre
Let the history come alive with stories of the Anglo-Boer War, how Gandhi, soon after he arrived in South Africa, fought for the rights of the local Indian shopkeeper, Ryder Haggard’s connection to Wakkerstroom, visit the graves of fallen war heroes and so much more!